Thursday, September 12, 2013

We Had a Celebration

Many of them came. They walked in quietly to our American Legion hall, ready to celebrate the publication of Reveille in Hot Springs, the book that they had each been involved in creating, if by their story or their quote, proofing, photo or inspiration.

There was one who drove up from Nebraska, one from Rapid City and one from Eagle Butte, a drive of more than three hours. The others were from the area. Those who were physically and emotionally able joined our celebration.

Most were veterans from WWII through Afghanistan who had shared their stories, some with great difficulty, with one thought in mind..."to save our VA and our benefits that we once earned serving our country".

I was proud and humbled in their presence. They had taught me so much, and by letting me enter into a part of their world, had changed me forevever. For this gift they have given me I am grateful.

They poured coffee, admired the large cake decorated with an exact replica of the cover of the book, selected food, sat down with other veterans and citizens from Hot Springs, read by way of the name tag that I had provided, the part that one another had played in this book of their battle, perhaps their last one, and gradually became close to one another through the common struggle they were sharing..

As the comfort levels increased, the conversation and laughter grew accordingly. By the time they were signing the 50 books that we were sending to our representatives in Washington, the warmth could be felt throughout the room. We, the regular folks, and the veterans, were united forever through this undertaking.

Last night we had a community celebration. Those veterans who could face large crowds came once again, proudly wearing their name tags identifying their part in this book, and signed books for the townspeople. They were proud, as they should have been.

As for me, so many came up and thanked me for writing this book. I could only reply, in honesty, "It has been an effort of love and I have been given far more in return than I could have ever imagined over a year ago when I began this project".

These veterans who brought me into their lives, took photos and purchased books. Some of them bought many copies of the book...to spread the word everwhere....in order to help fellow veterans everywhere. It is a battle they have chosen to fight for themselves and all veterans present and to come.

I am humbled in their presence. I am filled with wonder and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top