Tuesday, January 28, 2014

So, We Had a Meeting

Amanda announced it to the community members who braved the bitter cold to attend another Save our VA meeting. "We are half way through our battle to save our very special VA. You are all stakeholders in this. Our community has put a great deal of effort into a counter-proposal which will need some updating, but now it is up to veterans and other citizens in our town to testify before the NEPA committee about each of our personal reasons why we want this VA to remain and grow."

The group selected by the VA to do an environmental impact statement is because of the National Environmental Policy Act, which requires a federal agency to hire this group before that agency makes a final decision, such as the closure of a VA facility.

This is an independent group, required to study both sides of the issue and send their recommendation to the agency, in this case, Secretary Shinseki of the VA administration in Washington.

Some veterans spoke up during the comment period last night. As I listened to these veterans share their concerns, I could not help but believe that NEPA will have to offer Secretary Shinseki insights into the situation that will cause him to make the correct decision, not only for the veterans, but also for our community.

"I have seen services being cut, one after another. It has been a slow bleed. I don't know any other agency that cuts staff and services before opening another facility, as they plan to do."

"I moved back here because of this VA. I have been to many others where I was treated like a number. Here I am treated as an individual."

"I am 100% disabled veteran. I have been to VA hospitals on the west and east coasts. No one really took an interest in me. I moved here and received personal care. My husband and I have been trying to become pregnant. Finally we have been helped at this VA."

And so on.....the veterans spoke to us. They were speaking to the choir. We understand. Those of us who braved the cold and attended the latest informational meeting have not given up. We all understood every word, including the angry ones. We are one in this battle and we will not give up.

The next, and crucial step, will be our appearance and testimony before the NEPA committee when they arrive in town. All who care and do not accept failure, will be there, with their concerns and love for our veterans. they will take off from work, get a sitter or bring the kids, hitch a ride, close their store, hire a cab, whatever it takes. There will be no excuses or whining, " What's the use?" Those who do not turn up to fight can be the last ones to turn out the lights on our VA, our veterans and our town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top