Friday, July 17, 2015

Strawberry Season

Our garden has flourished, what with all the rain this season. Without so much as a "how do you do", our rhubarb, asparagus and walking onions returned once again. In fact, with each rainfall the asparagus continues to supply our evening table, long after the usual season for that vegetable.

We plant tomatoes each year, along with the lettuce. But surprise, surprise, the strawberries returned, peeking out among the fresh lettuce and ever present weeds. They followed soon after the rhubarb retired for this year. For a few weeks there was one red one each day and each day Bob would pick the one and bring it in and lay it on the counter.

While we both enjoy the lettuce, onions and asparagus in our daily salad, the strawberries would continue to multiply on the counter until I would savor them. Suddenly, in the middle of July, there are numerous red berries popping up in our garden. Today I asked Bob, "Why don't you eat some of the strawberries that you picked?"

"Oh, I had one", he replied. Bob knows that I love the delicious red berries. I wonder if he saves them for me? It could be. That would be just like him. (Just one of the many reasons I married this man).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top