Saturday, December 12, 2015

Our Magic Circle

This holiday season I did it! I went into every store in town and found gifts for everyone on my gift list. I did not want to support Amazon, Walmart or any other big on-line business. I love to touch and see my gifts. Can't do that on-line. Secondly, I want the money I spend to support my community. I want those who live and work here to help their kids attend school. I want them to pay the city taxes that pay for everything we all use. I want the businesses to be able to support our local charities, such as our Boys and Girls Club, our museum, Mammoth Site, nursing home, food shelf, etc.

I published an editorial in our home town paper titled "The Magic Circle." Briefly I said if I spend money at a local restaurant, that person goes to another business to make a purchase. Later someone in the business eats at that restaurant. What goes around, comes around. I'm not sure how many will take heed. I know some want the packages dropped at their front door. They don't want to bother to go into our local stores, browse, touch, admire and maybe, just maybe, find a thoughtful gift for someone they love. Even if it is not the perfect gift, the purchase helps those who live among us and who spend some of their money in our town.

We are losing the small stores in our country and in the malls. They are disappearing to the on-line businesses. On-line is convenient, especially for those who cannot get to the stores to see the merchandise first-hand and examine it closely. I use it occasionally when I cannot find an item locally. On-line is convenient and easy, but for the most part, while I am able, I will struggle through the wet snow and sloppy streets to browse and enjoy visiting with those who are our neighbors and who spend their lives trying to share with us and make a living for themselves.

I do not want the small businesses to have to fold up and leave deserted store fronts. I do not want the malls to disappear from the city suburbs. It was a way of life that I long enjoyed when I lived in the Twin Cities, but for now, retired in a rural town, I will forgo convenience of the Internet in the hopes that the small stores will, perhaps with a struggle, remain to brighten the quiet streets of our peaceful community in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Here's to the small business owners everywhere. Long may they reign!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top