Sunday, May 8, 2016

Happy Mother's Day

Today is the special day for remembering mothers. Mine has long gone, killed by a drunken driver as she and my father were leaving a Saturday night service at the church.

But I want to take this space in time to thank you, Mom, for giving me life. You taught me correct grammar, social graces and gave me room to grow. You hoped and wished for me as most mothers do, but in the end you followed my lead and the path I chose, supporting me as best you could.

I have written tributes to you in previous blogs and in my first book, A (not so) Simple Life. But today, after my daughter called to wish me a happy day, I thought of you especially, remembering your gentle, quiet, loving ways, and after three months of being in a coma after the accident, as you lived your life, you quietly slipped away from our lives forever.

You will always be there for me in memories and the social etiquette and correct grammar you taught and mostly the freedom to be me, have remained with me forever, easing my passage through my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top