Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Topsy-Turvy



She was an excellent waitress....courteous, thoughtful and prompt. She was friendly and spent some time with us as it was a quiet time at the restaurant.

"I am a registered nurse", she told us. "I used to work in home health throughout the Black Hills and I did Hospice care. Now I am working as a waitress. The work is more pleasant, the pay is good and the hours are 30 a week, unlike the long hours I put in as a nurse."

"Ouch", was my immediate response. "That is so sad when the need for nurses is so critical, especially in home health and hospice."

"I know. But the work was difficult and the hours were long. I make as much money as a waitress with fewer hours."

Bob and I ate our meal for a while in silence. It was depressing to hear what this woman had to say. She had the type of personality that would be attractive to the elderly and/or the terminally ill and yet she was waiting tables in Rapid City.

It's a strange world in so many ways. Today was another example brought home, to our table by a pleasant ex-nurse, mother of 3 (2 in college), and presently a waitress.

Is there something wrong with this picture?


3 comments:

  1. This is so true in to many professions. I would in some ways put teachers here to but it appears they are unappreciated for the extra time and money they do not get paid for when school districts have million dollar budgets but still teachers have to subsidise their own classroom needs! Just is not fair.
    Thank you Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true in to many professions. I would in some ways put teachers here to but it appears they are unappreciated for the extra time and money they do not get paid for when school districts have million dollar budgets but still teachers have to subsidise their own classroom needs! Just is not fair.
    Thank you Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teachers and nurses are two of the most important and unappreciated professions! On the other hand, the administrators in both fields don't seem to be hurting financially.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top