Sunday, January 29, 2017

Never Goodbye

Many have left us, soon to be forgotten. Others will live on in us for the remaining days we have. Some have impacted us even though we do not directly recall them....their name, face, walk or voice. What matters is that they have left a piece of them inside of us, to help us strive for the best that we can be.

Then there are those who will never be lost to us....name, face, walk or voice. This week we lost a TV star who has left her mark on many of us who struggled to find our voice, our life, ourselves. It was during the 70's and I watched faithfully every episode of Mary Tyler Moore as Mary Richards, a reluctantly assertive woman who chose a career over a family, working in a then man's world, growing in confidence and self-assurance of herself as a woman with a career and friends, who did not desparately pursue marriage as an ultimate goal.

I had always wanted a career and, because of the times, believed I had to get married, raise a family. I watched woman during my formative years and decided quietly that I did not want to raise a family, at least not at the beginning. I don't think I ever shared these feelings with anyone until permission was given by the women's movement and my weekly absorption in the life of Mary Richards.

She was largely responsible for affirmation of my life choices at that time. Through her and others like her I found my voice and my life.

Thank you Mary Tyler Moore. Through your portrayal of Mary Richards you gave me courage through the bumps of life. You will not be forgotten as long as I and others who follow will find voice to whatever choices we decide to make. Our silence has been broken and through us, for future generations of women.

1 comment:

  1. I always loved watching the TV shows she had or was in. Unbeknown to me but thinking back she gave my heart the joy and laughter it needed during part of lifes challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top