Saturday, August 26, 2017

Bitter-Sweet

My kitchen window faces the neighbor's back yard. From early in the spring to late in the fall I enjoy a view of a perfectly kept yard. The flowers always give me enjoyment, from the reds and lavenders of the daffodils and tulips to the hydrangeas, sunflowers many others which I cannot identify. Each day I drink in the vibrant colors with pleasure.

For the past eight years I have seen the 90 some neighbor lady out in her yard, tending to her flower gardens. She has a small rolling cart that she uses when she spends the day weeding and trimming.

Each time she is out in her yard I marvel at how such an elderly lady can do this tiresome work. When she sits and takes a rest Bob or I visit with her while she shares her love of gardening. Lately she has been increasingly complaining about the stress of her efforts. It cannot be easy for a women in her nineties to continue this strenuous activity.

Today as I tend to the kitchen chores I look out that same window where for many years I have taken pleasure in the plethora of colors that I drink in for a lengthy season of delight due to the constant efforts of our neighbor. The sunflowers are in full bloom, attracting the birds, bees and butterflies.

At the same time I savor the sight, I feel a tinge of sadness. This weekend she has been moved to our assisted living facility in town. I will miss seeing her, not only bending over her gardens, but the sight of her walking her dog, resting for a brief time in her lawn chair or going out, immaculately dressed, to attend church or some other function.

She has been an inspiration to me and I will treasure the memories and, as long as they last for this season, the careful array of hues growing proudly in her back yard.


Thank you, Nancy, for the beauty you left behind as you follow a new path.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I marvel at your ability to see so many truly beautiful things from your kitchen window and put them to pen and paper (aka: keyboard...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet tribute to your neighbor! I hope you will continue to visit with her in her new home, I'm sure she would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure she will. She may prefer to have a ride to her home to work in her garden. Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top