Wednesday, September 14, 2011

September Song

September is my favorite month. The days are cooling down, the nights are crisp, the garden is rich with tomatoes, lettuce and squash of every variety. The migrating birds are stopping with greater frequency at the bird bath and feeders to pack up for their flights southward. Many of the flowers are gone for this season but our double wave spreading petunia has certainly lived up to its name and completely filled the large wooden container on our deck.

Flitting in and out of my enjoyment of this season is a tinge of sadness, knowing that this time is short, the days are getting shorter and soon the longer and colder nights will be with us. I always loved the "September Song". It is still one of my favorites even though it, too, laments the shortness of this time of year and the days of our life. Yet, like the song, I want to be more fully aware that what really matters "as the days dwindle down to a precious few..." is to enjoy this day to the fullest and relish "these few precious days I'll spend with you. These precious days I'll spend with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top