Saturday, April 21, 2012

Back to Work

Our first morning after our return from our short vacation the phone rang...too early for us weary travelers. Bob leapt out of bed with "Welcome back"!

I am back to my interviews and writing. I can't believe how much I learn from each of the veterans who share a part of their life with me. I am a stranger to them, and not a veteran, but they offer a story of their work, struggles and hopes for the VA. Some of them have a difficult time sharing stories that they have not shared with anyone else, except, perhaps with the counseling program at the VA. I am humbled by their willingness to try to save our hospital in Hot Springs.

I know one thing for sure...no matter how all of this turns out, my life has been enriched by spending time with our veterans. Their accounts touch me deeply and I know that I will, and am, viewing many things in life with a greater understanding and empathy.

I am grateful to be a part of the campaign to save and grow our VA in Hot Springs. I am grateful to become a small part of the lives of the men and women who have served our country. I am grateful to live in this country, with all of its flaws. I am grateful to be at home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top