Friday, September 28, 2012

A Veteran's Lament

He stood out as he wheeled his cart into the grocery store. The blue vest on his large frame brightened the aisles. The vest was covered with many striking patches, each designating his part in his service to his country in Vietnam. As he came closer my eye caught one patch in particular that identified him as a POW.

"Hi, Johnny. I love your vest!"

He stopped to proudly explain who had made the vest for him and how he had entered it into a contest at the VA and it won an award.

I admired everything and then told him that I didn't know he had been a POW. Of course I asked him if I could interview him for a testimonial for the stories I am gathering for Save our VA, and later for my next book. He was adamant in his refusal.

"I don't use this VA. I won't give you a story, but you can quote me on this. I have great insurance from my work and I wanted to leave my spot for a veteran who cannot afford to go to any other hospital. And now they are treating them like shit!"

This quote is from a veteran who proudly served his country during an unpopular war, and spent time as a prisoner of war. His anger at the government's proposal to close our VA that has served veterans for over 100 years is a sad commentary on those who sent these young men and women to fight for all of us, and who are now trying to limit their promised benefits that are still given to our representatives in Washington.

Johnny, your anger is understood by many, and we many are behind all of our veterans. We support you and will continue to fight for you as you once fought for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top