Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Last Night's Phone Call

Rewarding is a word I have not heard tossed around very much, and yet what can be more special than the feeling of being rewarded? Looking back I have experienced many rewards during my lifetime. Of course, in my work as a teacher and a counselor I have known the joy of opening minds to learning, growing, self-awareness, confidence, and on and on. Teaching and counseling both have their frustrations and failures, but they also have many, many satisfactions.

I am grateful to have been in two professions that have given me as much as I have given. It must be sterile and lonely working for money and status only. That work brings material things for sure, but for me, material stuff by itself is empty and unfulfilled.

During my retirement I began my latest profession of writing. I started writing because I finally found the time to do an activity that I had long enjoyed from the other side as a constant reader, and I soon discovered that it forced me to focus my thoughts and feelings that previously had only floated in the back burner of my mind.

It didn't take long to also get the rewards of my labor. I received notes, letters and phone calls from those that felt strongly about my writings. What a bonus! My work was affecting some of my readers, and, at times, influencing their lives.

Last night I had a phone call from a friend in the Twin Cities who recently began reading my book, "Cascade of Flames", and wanted to share his thoughts and feelings about the firefighters and evacuees involved in this disaster. I am busy on my next book about the veterans and rarely think of that last book, but he brought it back to focus for me, and I remembered warmly the many folks I had interviewed and how a natural disaster can change, and deepen lives forever.

Also, my friend brought my book to his place of business and was sharing it with his customers. That, dear friend, is the greatest of compliments. I hope you are reading this so you will know how deeply I appreciated your words and your gesture. Any writer will understand how I feel about last night's phone call. My wish is that all of you who struggle to put your thoughts on paper for others to read, will one day receive a call such as I did last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top