Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Closing In and Closing Out

The sun warmed me as I sat on the back steps enjoying what the forecasters predict will be the last balmy day for who know how long. Our bees were venturing out, but fewer than usual. Everything in nature had slowed a bit, except for the birds stuffing themselves at the bird feeders.

As I sat for that time, enjoying the late aftenoon fading rays of the sun, I heard Bob closing the windows....not just the inner ones as he usually does on cooler evenings, but I heard the swish of the storm windows, doubly closing out his expectations for the cold to come.

I sighed. It has been a wonderful October, but November is rearing its head. "Get used to it," I said to myself. It is coming and it is time to say goodbye to my favorite season. I have to get my mind re-set to the wonders of the coming season, the ones following, and then, as always, I will greet my pet season once again. I do know that as I grow older, time seems to escape me faster than ever, and so it will not be too long before I will be once again warming my chilly bones on the back porch in the late afternoon rays of the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top