Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Three Trapped Mice, See How they Run!

During the summer months I fed the birds saflower seeds, as suggested by a reader, to deter the greedy grackles until they fly south in the fall. Yesterday I went into the tool shed to retrieve my stash of sunflower seeds. I reached into the large plastic bucket to be greeted by a surpised mouse. (Actually, we were both surprised.) I went for help from my husband, being squeemish about reaching into the mouse's space.

Bob calmly tipped the can over. Out ran a terrified mouse. "Well," said Bob. "There is another mouse in here." He managed to shoo that mouse out, at the same time that we heard a third critter scurrying around at the bottom of the tattered bag of seed. It took some maneuvering, but my calm partner managed to flush the last one out.

I must say, those three mice must have been in there for a long time. The plastic bag inside the plastic container was shredded among the seeds, and the mice looked rather plump as they exited their prison. I wonder if they thought of it as a prison. I know they could not climb back out, but in the meantime, they gorged themselves while trapped at the bottom.

There are two ways of looking at a situation such as those three, tiny mice found themselves in while in confinement: they could expend all of their energy trying to escape, or, keep feasting and hope for rescue. Fortunately these little guys were discovered by a couple who "live and let live" unless forced to do otherwise.

Meanwhile, "Attention, all you stray cats out there. You are welcome to sustain yourselves in our back yard. Winter is on its way and there are some plump, furry creatures who may help you make it through the cold days ahead!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top