Tuesday, December 25, 2012

An Unexpected Gift

On December 21, the last of the red blossoms dropped from our Christmas cactus. Actually, I always thought we should name it a Thanksgiving cactus since it bloomed brilliantly during that holiday. Then, on December 22, I noticed that the plant had some new blossoms.

"Did you notice the new buds on our Christmas cactus?", I said to my husband. "They weren't there yesterday. In fact, it was blossomless".

Bob had noticed. That was no surprise since he is more observant than I.

"I don't understand. There was nothing there a day earlier."

On the 23 of December there were more buds and several blossoms. On the 24th more buds and blossoms appeared. Today, on Christmas, the plant is resplendent with blossoms and buds.

I still do not understand. Never before has one of these plants re-blossomed immediately after shedding every flower. They have bloomed twice a year, months apart, and that was that, and what I expected. This plant, a Christmas gift we received last year, placed in the back seat of our vehicle after a Christmas gathering, is truly a gift that keeps on giving.

This Christmas we are enjoying the rich colors from early November, continuing until ???? It is a mystery.

Tonight, I know nothing more, except this, "happy Christmas to all, and to all, a good night".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top