Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Annual Countdown

We came around the corner of the store pushing a cart. There was the sign - Ten Shopping Days Until Christmas!

Ten shopping days left. I had given only passing thoughts to the holiday, being absorbed in my many volunteer activities. But the countsown sign reminded me that I had personal tasks...gift wrapping, card writing and overall unwinding before the holidays. It was time to pause for personal reflection and a re-charge of my batteries.

I began my yearly connections with old and new friends. As I wrote cards,  the music from the radio was interrupted by a shocking news story. I had long learned to tune out "fiscal cliff" arguments, waiting for the final decisions, but this story gripped me along with the rest of our country.

Another tragedy for so very many because of the demons in one lost soul. After the intial shock and conflicting details, the news was filled with the same old gun control issues. It was to be expected, as always, after a mass killing. This time the tone was sharper, but the extremes came gushing out....from "ban everything" to "arm the teachers".

It made me pause. Do you suppose the next step will be "arm the kids?" This may sound ridiculous but I have lived through a lifetime of extremes in our culture. Where is the middle?....."in medio", as my old Latin teacher would say. We cannot seem to really listen to the "others", foreign to our view of the world. Getting into their skin, walking around in it for a while, might, just maybe, bring us closer to agreements that would work, and smooth out the rugged paths of our lifetimes.

Meanwhile, some things never change. I find comfort in rituals that remind me of safer times and places, devoid of violent television, computer games, and the constancy of the noise of instant communication. It is no wonder that the photo of Mr. Rogers went viral in no time. It seems that other people yearn for the presence of a man who exemplifies calm, understaning, acceptance and warmth.

There are only a few days remaining until a holiday with familiar carols, rituals, family, friends, feasting, and, hopefully, acceptance of the best of who we are and who we are becoming.

Mr. Rogers, you touched many children and adults. May your words of comfort remain with us long after this holiday, this crisis, and during conflicts to come. You taught us that safety lies within.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Mary and Bob.
    I didn't know you had a blog until I saw this posting referred to by Dusty in the Fall River Reader (which I get to once in a great while). I am surprised - are you really saying you think arming the teachers is a BAD idea? They do it in Israel, they do it in Utah, why not in South Dakota and Wyoming and Nebraska and elsewhere? Aren't our children precious enough to be defended?
    Reading through your last postings, I very much enjoyed them, and one of these days, I'll remember your message and call you - at some time other than midnight or five AM, which is usually when I am reminded, only to forget the next day or later that day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top