Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Feedback on Reville in Hot Springs

An email concluded with "thanks for doing what you do". It got me to thinking about what I do. It certainly isn't for monetary gain. I was only hoping to break even on this project about our veterans and community attempt to save our rural VA in Hot Springs, SD.

One of the emails that came from those who have read my book calls the stories "poignant". Another feedback used the word "compelling" testimonies from the veterans. Feedback such as these keep me in the battle to help our veterans.

The response from those who bravely shared their stories for the world to read have only reinforced my goals and desire to promote and spread this book - a work by the community and the veterans - for the community and the veterans.

While I was selling books at the traveling wall a veteran, who has his story in my book, told his wife that she was not going to keep his copy of the book. He told her he wanted to be buried with it.

On Saturday the woman who travels with the Quilt of Tears sent word to me to stop at her booth. When I arrived she said, "I just had to have a copy of your book. Some veterans in the book have told me how proud they are to have their stories written for all to see and understand".

Another veteran in the book, who travels over three hours to keep his appointments at this VA in Hot Springs, thanked me several times for writing this book and including him in the cause. He and his wife stopped at the house yesterday on their way home from the VA. After more thanks,  his wife, clutching the book to her heart, said, "This book will remain for our children long after we are gone".

In response to that email I received from a fellow writer sending thanks for doing what I do, my reply to her and to myself is my reward is from all of those who have taken this project to their hearts. That is why I do what I do. Thanks for your thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top