Saturday, August 17, 2013

Some Stories Break My Heart

My favorite meditative spot is one of the benches along the river walk in down-town Hot Springs. It is at that bench that I can hear the water cascading over the rocks, and while I sit there the rest of the world and all of the problems fade away. It is my healing place.

Today a gentleman was sitting on the bench, cane by his side and a book in his lap. Usually if that bench is occupied I continue on my way, but today I joined him on the bench. I have heard his story repeated over and over during the past months.

He is a veteran who is worried about the possible closure of our VA. He does not drive and this VA provides his medical care in a town that he can navigate with a little help from his cane. He walks the river, walks to his VA appointments and can stop into any of the stores that will supply his needs.

"I don't know what I will do if they close this VA. They have already shut down many of the services and the drive to Fort Meade hospital is an all-day drive that gets harder on me as I get older. I guess I will have to find another small town like this one because I will not be able to afford private insurance".

After my months of researching for my book about our efforts to save our VA in this small community and listening to similar stories, I did not have the heart to tell him that the VA administration in Washington is slowly, but surely, closing rural VA hospitals all over this country, while gradually whittling down the benefits that veterans earned during their time of service.

"It is so hard to believe that they are cutting us. The representatives in Washington keep getting their raises and superior health care. My medicare premiums cut into my social security, my savings are being eaten up and those guys in Washington want to make cuts to Medicare, social security and food stamps.I am right on the edge for getting any benefits. I wonder if anyone will enlist when they learn that benefits are being cut?"

I, too, wonder. After our talk I walked back home, came into the house and cried. I cried for all of our veterans, present and future. I cried for the veteran on that bench who had served proudly and who only wants the health care once provided and promised. I cried for the future of our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top