Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Hindsight

The doe and her fawn were standing frozen in our back yard by the headlights of our car as we pulled into our driveway from a long day on the Rez. In front of them was a fat rabbit, also caught immobile by our lights. We sat watching for some seconds when the doe casually walked off, followed by her doe, tailed by the rabbit.

It was a fitting end to a fascinating, educational day doing a lengthy interview on KILI radio station located on Pine Ridge reservation.

For several days I had panicked over a TV interview last Sunday. Looking back, all the stress was for naught. The reporter did the best she could after an hour of interviewing, condensing everything into her one minute and 25 seconds of allotted time. She focused on one point, but even then I received many emails and several phone calls commenting on that brief segment.

"You will save the VA single-handed with your book", was one response.

I really doubt that, but the caller's comment was much appreciated. Our time is limited and we need to have an impact on the powers that be in Washington to save our very special VA and other benefits for all of our veterans.

The following day, Veteran's Day, two of the veterans from my book, RJ and Sylsvester, my husband and I drove to KILI radio on Pine Ridge. Sylvester had driven with his wife from Rosebud. The entire experience at the station was casual,hilarious and welcoming, all at the same time.

Our interview was scheduled for 1:00 that day. The previous guests, scheduled for noon, arrived late. The host, Tom Casey and I were visiting, when he looked up at the clock and casually announced that he had to go teach a class at the college and I would have to conduct the interview by myself.

"After all, you do interviews, don't you? You interviewed all of the veterans, including the two who came with you."

"No way", I responded. "When do you get back from teaching?"

"I will be back about 4:00, but what will you do until then?"

Well, all of us went to lunch at an intimate restaurant about 15 miles away, probably the closest available place. It was located with a motel in the center of the reservation. Who would ever come to this remote location for rooms or food? It turns out there were some ranchers and some residents from the reservation who had stopped in on this bitterly cold day. Everyone who came in knew the veterans that had come with me for the interview. One of them, RJ, had taught and been a principal on Pine Ridge for many years, and the other, Sylvester, was a Lakota from the Rosebud Reservation, three hours to the north.

After lunch we all travelled back to the radio station and waited another 20 minutes or so until the host returned from teaching. We had some great conversation time with a DJ who was manning the station and with one another, including the wife of one of the veterans. It was all worth the wait. When Tom returned he interviewed each of us for an hour and a half, bringing out the best in the former principal and Vietnam veteran and the Lakota Vietnam veteran from the Rosebud reservation.

He also had me at ease, enjoying his skills as an interviewer. I was bursting in pride for my two veterans who so willingly gave of their time to once again support the Hot Springs VA. RJ remembered to thank all of the women...mothers, wives, children, grandparents of the veterans who had "put up with us on our return from the service."

Sylvester ended the hour with words in Lakota to all of the listeners. I don't know what he said, but his voice was filled with sincerity and I heard the words "Hot Springs VA" several times.

Looking back, both of these interviews were nothing to fear. In fact, they were thoroughly enjoyed, and I learned a great deal. What more can anyone ask?

2 comments:

  1. I support your efforts and applaud your courage to speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    Thank you for your comment. So often I write in a vacum and seldom hear from readers, even though I know my blogs are being followed. Your words are like a voice from that vast wilderness of the internet. If you ever return to our beautiful Black Hills, I would love a face to face. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top