Saturday, March 1, 2014

Comparison Shopping

Bob and I stopped in at the city-run aquatic center in Rapid City. We heard rave reviews about it and decided to see what all the fuss was about. The following are my observations.

It was a lovely facility with many amenities for the citizens of the area. Did I drool or think "If only...?" There were a few things I would like to see in our city-run Plunge in Hot Springs, but for the most part I went back to our health club satisfied....more than satisfied with what our small community offered for us.

Our locker rooms are open and inviting. In Rapid I felt claustrophobic as I walked through the narrow aisles. The steam room was separate from the men's, with steam filled with city chlorine water.The exercise room has less equipment than ours. As I walked into the pool area I did admire their "water walk" and large hot tub, but none of that could compare to our natural, mineral spring waters flowing constantly, washing out the chlorine that filled their pool.

Our city does need to make many improvements to our Evans Plunge. I know many would welcome the less expensive rates of the swim center in Rapid City. It will take Hot Springs some time and money since the Plunge has been city-owned for less than a year, but as I worked out in our invigorating mineral water and later as I relaxed and chatted with men and women in the steam room and warmed in the sauna, I knew most vividly that what we have is beyond compare  for those of us who want healthy water and healing heat and conversation in a health club separate from the clamor of the pool. How many people can enjoy all of this, close to home, without fighting traffic and a lengthy drive?

There are times when comparing can bring about needed improvements. Other times it may bring envy. Then again it may bring gratitude for what we have and what we are about to have. For me, I prefer to live in the gratitude of the now with some hope for the future. Gratitude carries joy and anticipation can bring spice to the moment. And this moment, right now, is all we ever have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top