Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Path Chosen

Years ago, after the fall of the Wall,  I was teaching English in Poland. While visiting Warsaw, I met an American businessman who was looking at Poland as a financial opportunity for his company. During the day we quickly became acquainted, as often happens between two people in a foreign country. Before we parted company he told me that he thought I was  making a huge mistake to choose the Black Hills for retirement.

"You will get bored and miss the excitement of the Cities. I hope you and your husband change your minds. What will you do with your time? You have much to offer. Don't throw it away in the boonies."

Now and then I remember this brief encounter with this thoughtful, intelligent man from Chicago. The times I remember him are when I find myself deeply involved in the many issues surrounding a small community in the Black Hills of South Dakota. When I take the time for myself in order to re-energize my batteries, I think back to my life in the Cities. I was involved, of course, but not nearly as much as I find myself in this "fly-over zone" of our country.

If you want to remain incognito, invisible to the outside world, the best place is in the Cities. It is far simpler in retirement to stay to oneself, enjoy hobbies and friends when you are surrounded by the masses.

Here, in the small town of Sandstone buildings, clean air, pure water, few mosquitoes, milder winters and far sunnier days than back in Minnesota, I have become more passionate about issues on my back doorstep. They are harder to ignore than "stuff happening out there."

I do wish I could run into my short-term friend from Chicago. I may not have as many restaurants, theatre and events to occupy my time, but I am....I repeat....I am never bored and I never feel as if  my life is wasted. Becoming involved locally and knowing that I may have some small impact, has filled my life far more than my love for the theatre and extraordinary restaurants.

The three books I have written about this area and the folks who live here has enriched my life far more than the writings I probably would have produced back in the Twin Cities. I say probably because I will never know because I have chosen this path, the "one least chosen" and rejected my former life of relative invisibility among the multitudes.

If you ever read this, old friend, know that I am alive and thriving in this wonderful place you call "the boonies".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top