Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Endless Question

No, I am not referring to "To be or not to be..." There are many other questions that we face during our lifetimes. Each one may be answered in a different way. We each make the choices that we feel are the best at the time and place in our lives.

One that returns to haunt me is "Does the end justify the means?" The longer I live, the more I attempt to answer that question for me and try not to judge others who opt for another road to follow. Individuals and groups face the same dilemma.

The latest one to slam me was when I read this paragraph in a magazine: "In May, the Conservancy began selling credits for those carbon reductions to companies looking to offset their own emissions. The resulting funds will be reinvested in conservation and forest-restoration work in the reserve."

Now I know that this carbon exchanging exists, but to read these words from a supposedly reputable environmental organization, set my stomach churning and my head aching.

From individuals stealing from one entity to help another, to large organizations fudging on their taxes or covering up safety issues, or making land trades to oil companies in order to save forests for our environment, I pause and mull over, "Does that end justify the means?"

Ouch! There are often no easy answers. In the end, what it often comes down to is individual consciences struggling through a decision. From me, an individual, to a huge corporation answering to its stockholders, we face that question and slog our way through to an end result. At times it involves compromise, at other times we know clearly. It may be black or white. It may bring negative repercussions. It may change the world. It may prevent someone from starvation.

No one said life would be easy. Well, it never is to those with a conscience. From Victor Hugo struggling through his characters in Les Miserables to Greece and the European Union, decisions are made that can affect an individual or a country, for better or worse.

Perhaps it is through each struggle that we enrich our own understanding and character to aid us in the road taken next. I don't have an answer for anyone else. I will only speak for myself. At times I may choose the darker side, as I have in the past.

During my time left to me I genuinely hope I say more farewells to the murkier decisions. Making what I believe is the best choice can have an unforeseen negative affect, which, in turn, may lead to another choice.

Sigh....I think it is time for a vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top