Saturday, October 17, 2015

No More One-Size-Fits-All

"There is a spot on your x-ray of your left breast." It was the spring of 2012 and my annual mammogram time. Each year, following doctor's advice, I submitted myself to "squeeze and hold".

Back in 1994 a spot was found on my left breast. Following the research at that time I had a lumpectomy, followed by radiation and 5 years of drug therapy. I continued to be faithful with my yearly screenings, but was still stunned when the radiologist told me that a spot was discovered once again in the same breast. He advised me to make an appointment with a surgeon with no delay. During that appointment, unlike the previous time. I was advised to have a mastectomy.

Still in shock, I proceeded speedily to follow his advice. Another surgeon recommended reconstruction surgery. After all, did I want to be lopsided? My breasts had always been one of my best physical qualities and after many years of life I had become rather attached to them.

During the surgery, cancer was discovered in the other breast. Five days later that breast was removed. During this time I was visited by former cancer patients who gave well-meaning advice, all of which proved to be misguided, if not bogus. I found my own way to purchase less expensive items than they suggested. (Mastectomy swim suits were far cheaper from Lands End, formed bras from Sears rather than the over-priced store recommended by the ladies in pink.). I covered my costs without taxpayer funding through Medicare.

Two people were enormously helpful in my choice to reject the reconstruction surgeries. A sympathetic nurse came into my hospital room and, while tucking in my bed sheets, asked me why I was considering reconstruction surgery.

"I have just been mulling this over", I replied to her question. After the nurse left my room I pondered her question further and asked myself, "Why? Why on earth would I have reconstruction at my age? I could wear the 'stuffed bras' or simply go flat and proud. Also, so very important, I was married to a
man who loved me with or without and he only wanted what was in my best interests.

Later my husband questioned the plastic surgeon thoroughly. We learned about the years, time and pain that was involved in reconstruction surgery. My husband and that wise nurse helped direct me on a safer, saner path.

I got an infection after my two surgeries and needed to have a third one, but, oh, I am eternally grateful I did not opt for the multiple surgeries, time and pain that follow reconstruction. The three surgeries in a month's time were hard enough on me and the years I have left are too precious and too few to waste in a plastic surgeon's office....and, all of this would be covered by taxpayer money.

Today many medical professionals no longer recommend radical measures, unless it is the type of cancer that spreads quickly. It is a "take your time" attitude to make a large medical decision. Less invasive means are available even after the "shock effect" of that "spot on the x-ray" is discovered. Patients are advised on an individual basis.

Change is constant and we must live with that or be in denial. We are advised by the "experts" to do one thing, and then, with more research, there is a change of direction.

Today would I make different decisions? What I do know is that I would take more time, do extensive research, consult several doctors and choose the path that fit my needs with my diagnosis. With the latest available data I might choose to do less, and, for certain, would not even consider reconstruction.

One more thing. Never, never ask me to wear pink!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top