Friday, June 10, 2016

The Sounds of Silence

Sunday afternoon. The sky is blue, the breeze is gentle, the clouds are white and puffy. I quit my reading and walk outside. It is too beautiful to stay indoors. There is a difference from early morning when I went outside to tend to our backyard chickens. They were fussing for their treats with the demanding clucking that insisted, "feed me, feed me." The neighbor was mowing his lawn and trucks were rumbling down the alley.

This afternoon is strangely silent. The chickens and the lawn mowers have gone still and at this point in time there are no cars or trucks passing in the front or in the alley. The only sounds I hear are a few chirpings from some distant birds high in the elms. A bird glides silently past and a lone robin on the grass in the back yard is equally noiseless in his concentrated quest for worms.

What happened to the sounds of laughter from the neighborhood children bouncing on the trampoline? Actually what happened to all of the people usually passing by on the sidewalk or crunching down the unpaved alley? Where is everyone?

The hush hangs heavily and delightfully. This is so rare and such a treat. I sit in the lawn chair drinking in the stillness. After a time a hear a faint meow. The alley cat, Muddy, has just woken from his nap under the picnic table. The late afternoon sun has reached his place of rest and may have warmed him to his waking point, or it could be that it is getting close to his dinner time when he expects food provided for him in return for his keeping our yard mouse free.

He jumps on my lap, turning and rubbing, but, as always, he remains purr-less, respecting the silence for my continued pleasure. Two cars pass quietly by. Strangely absent is the roar from muffler-less trucks or motorcycles.  There is no buzzing from the bees who have recently departed seeking flowers still in blossom. Our roses are just beginning their pink, red and yellow appearances while the tulips, alliums and poppies in swift succession have taken to seed for the season.

Ah, peace and quiet! My husband returns from his place of work downtown, informing me that it is equally deserted on the main street. He switches on the TV and I am abruptly returned to the world of sound. The silence was delicious while it lasted.  

I am grateful for the afternoon interlude of serenity and solitude.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top