Thursday, March 2, 2017

Small Town Politics

There are always two sides of every issue. This is especially blatant in the small town. The gossip flows swiftly, facts are distorted and exaggerated until everything is brought out in the open....if it ever does.

I watch in interest as my small town of origin takes sides on an issue, often similar to those in our town. There have been differences over a hospital, a library, mining and on and on. Both sides in both communities are passionate and vocal on their viewpoints. Compromises may come about. Victory for one side may leave bitter tastes in the losers. Whatever the outcome, feelings rumble below the surface, waiting for an opportunity to rise up to another challenge or to loudly state "I told you so!"

It is no different on the national level. There is passion on both sides and the voice of reason is often lost among the conflict. Calm, reason and compromise are reached at times, after the furor of the moment has receeded.

The latest in our community is a ruckus over the suspension of our city administrator. During the furor, sides were taken, a settlement was reached, our mayor resigned and our community was exhausted over the entire episode.

During the ruckus there was a ray of reason on our city council. That member wanted time, documentation and a decision based on facts rather than emotion. I was reminded of the doctor who attended me during my hospital stay. She wore a hijab. I asked her where she was from. She and her husband were doctors from Egypt and had become citizens of our contry.

I questioned her on the latest immigation laws and the possible effect on her travel plans to visit her family in Egypt. I was emotional but she responded to my frustration with the calm voice of reason and understanding.

"People are afraid."

There it was. Calm and inner peace showed through. I reflected on our difference. I was agitated. She was the serene voice of reason. A lesson learned.

I am grateful for calm and reason. It is still among us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top