Tuesday, July 3, 2012

So Long, Grackles

Some posts back I wrote about my battles against the ever-so-clever grackles. Then wonder of wonders, I had a suggestion from a reader that really worked. The email said I should change my feed from sunflowers to safflowers. I was busy with other things in life but I finally had the chance to purchase a bag of safflowers and lo, and behold, the grackles have disappeared from the feeder, the finches have it all to themselves, along with the ever-present chickadees, nuthatches and a few other unassuming visitors.

Peace has returned to the Lee-Goulet back yard and the ground beneath the feeder is slowly clearing from the mess of the sunflower seeds. Safflowers may be more expensive, but they are neater, and because the voracious grackles do not dine on them, the seed lasts longer, which I hope will make it less costly in the long run.

As I look out at the less demanding feathery diners I think about wars among nations and other groups and the instinct to want to take charge and control others. Perhaps an alternative strategy may provide a solution with less conflict. Resolving issues in this way brings less stress, wasted energy and time.

Thank you, Bill, for responding to my problem. One small vexation has left my life. Hmmm..... I must remember this when facing other dilemmas that will certainly arise during my lifetime. After all is said and done, my battle with the grackles taught me a valuable lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top