Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Summer Sizzles

There is no denying that this is one hot, hot summer! There are always the hot days, but this summer has had more of its share. Even our cat spends more time in the cooler basement. The bees pile up outside of the hive in larger clusters in the evenings after their long days of foraging in the gardens in the neighborhood. The hornets are joining them at the bee water, (much to my dismay). I do my chores earlier than my norm and concentrate on water exercise while skipping over the long walks.

Today we were driving past a back, fenced yard. A large white, thickly coated long haired dog was standing. I saw no movement whatsoever. He stood, head hanging, tail drooping. The sun was full upon him in that enclosed space. I wondered if there was shade in that yard. "Where were his owners"? My guess was that they were inside of a much cooler house, perhaps even with air conditioning. I looked at the temperature as we drove past that silent dog. It was 102 degrees.

We are fortunate to have our fourteen-year old grandson for two weeks. He seems not to notice the heat, but then I don't think I did much at his age either. He is attending a British Soccer camp held each year in our town. The youngsters come eagerly to play and learn. They join each other on the field before the class begins, kicking the balls, running and shouting. They don't seem to notice the heat. They live for the moment and that moment is their passion for a game. Forget the heat. They want to play, learn and have fun. Ah, youth.....

Meanwhile, I head back indoors, not allowing the cat to sit on my lap for long. The summer sizzles. I enjoy watching the Olympics, especially the swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top