Friday, July 20, 2012

The West is on Fire

Oh, oh, here we go again. It has been five years since our horrific Alabaugh Fire of 7-7-7. This morning my husband pointed out the huge cloud to the north of town. My instant reaction was a flash of panic followed by plans for evacuation. What should I pack, are the cars gassed up, do I bring the special food for our elderly cat?????

One time going through a fire was quite enough, thank you. I suppose since I am a seasoned veteran of evacuation through a wildfire, I should be a bit calmer. That was not the case when I first looked at that ominous cloud of white surging over our town. My mind began to race to what, where and when.

My more laid back husband met the challenge in his own way. He drove up the nearby mountain to the home of friends and saw the flames clearly. He said not to worry since they were about fifteen miles away.

Fifteen miles! Those words were not much consolation. Fifteen miles is uncomfortably close for me. Could we lose our picturesque town? That thought is too overwhelming for me to dwell on for long.

The phone was ringing as I got home. It was a friend asking us to join her for lunch. Yes, yes, that is just what I needed at the time. A cool restaurant and casual conversation over iced tea. I just may be over reacting inside my gut. The fire may not even be heading our way, and too much worry in advance is not helpful. Either way, if the time comes to leave our home for a second time, we will be armed with experience. I have my fingers crossed that will be of some help.

For now we can only wait and trust our courageous firefighters to hold back the flames. They are out in the 100 plus degree heat clothed in their fire resistant, woolen suits, while we wait in our air conditioned homes and cling to our trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top