Sunday, March 15, 2015

Neighborhood Watch

Our neighbor is a spunky, going on ninety, white-haired active lady. I have a view of her comings and goings from my kitchen window. It overlooks her back door, yard and garage. She attends many meetings such as card playing at the senior center, alumni groups, church activities and what-all. With the exception of gardening in her immaculately groomed back yard, she lights out dressed fashionably in dresses, hose and heels.

Now I gave up all my dresses and such years ago when I retired. When we moved to the Black Hills only jeans and a few dressier pants remained in my wardrobe. My life style is to remain comfortable and that includes no nylons, heels or dresses, but as I am doing the dishes and watch this elegant lady stride to her next event, I admire her carefully matched clothes. It brings back fond memories of my mother and those "good ole days."

This morning as I was working at the kitchen sink I saw our neighbor sitting on a lawn chair in the warm sun waiting for her aging miniature poodle to finish its daily routine. She had her hand up to the side of her face and I casually thought, "Nancy is on her cell phone." That would be the usual "today" thought to think, but following quickly on my first thought I looked more closely and realized that her hand was up to shield her face from the sun. I sighed a soft sigh of relief. She remained stolidly in those days swiftly disappearing from our modern world. She had no cell phone. She could wait until she got inside to take any messages. She was enjoying the spring warmth and enveloped in peaceful quiet. It was her time of quiet reflection.

As I write these words I realize that those brief moments I have of our neighbor bring warm memories and comfort. For me it is better than watching an old movie. It is real and today. Thank you, Nancy. You bring the past into this day. Long may these treasured moments remain!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top