Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Smile

Tourists who notice love the friendliness of this small town. And we remember when we first moved here how impressed we were by the kindness of strangers, who, by this time, are no longer strangers.

We stopped at the local bank to open an account. It was 4:30 and they were just closing their doors.

"Come on in" said the smiling employee. "It's okay, we can stay open for you."

And they did and we opened an account at this bank, which we still have to this day, 18 years later.

Another employee was mopping the floor. A customer who was a rancher, with all that accompanies his boots after a day with his cattle, had just left the bank before our late arrival.

"It's just one of our services" said the mopper with a pleasant smile to us. "We often do this after a rancher leaves so that we renew the pleasant odor for the next customer."

This bank did this back then and they do this to this day as needed. As they said, "It is just one of our services that we provide in this rural ranching community."

Tonight Bob and I stopped at our favorite local restaurant. As we walked in a couple was just leaving, and as they walked by I smiled at the wife and Bob smiled at the husband. Within seconds the man stopped our waiter and said, "I want to pick up the tab for this couple."

I was stunned. I did not recognize the man or his wife. He turned to my husband and said, "You just made my day with your friendly smile. I insist on paying for your meal."

And he did.

We sat for a few minutes in astonished silence and then I asked Bob "Do you know that man?"

"Never saw him before."

The waiter joined in. "I think they are tourists. I never saw them before, but I think they are from Texas."

I can only guess that they are not as friendly where he comes from in Texas. Maybe he had a bad day and our smiles renewed his faith in humanity. Whatever, we may never know for certain, but this I do know, always smile at a stranger. You have nothing to lose either way. A smile costs nothing, takes a second of your time and may just make the day turn around for that stranger who briefly touches your life.


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top