Friday, July 8, 2016

Three Vets in the Sauna

"I served two tours in Iraq. I was wounded and after I left the service I found the best VA for helping me return to health is this VA in Hot Springs."

"I fought for our country in many wars from Desert Storm to Iraq to Afghanistan. I was a Ranger, testified before Congress about the conditions at Walter Reed hospital, I was wounded, have a plate in my chest and am part of the Wounded Warrior program."

"I love this VA and this town. I am from Boston and have been to other VA hospitals and I can tell you this one is the best. I love the peace and serenity here. People greet me on the street."

Three veterans using our Plunge. One of them believes that the water is helping to alleviate his PTSD symptoms. All three were sweating in the sauna, sharing some of their battle stories. One shared a photo on his cell phone of a very poisonous spider that roams Iraq, or Afghanistan, I can't recall which country it was since he served several tours in both countries.

These young men fought for our country. One loved the years in the service but was angry and frustrated about his medical treatment on his return. The best medical care was at a VA that the government was cutting. His distrust with our government was blatant as was the frustration with Congress. He said his entire family had served in the military in all different conflicts, but he was telling his son not to enter the military after what he was experiencing at the present time.

I remained in that sauna far too long, captivated by the war stories of fears, frustrations, anger and pain. Finally I had to leave, but before I closed the door I took one final look back at these men who appeared so healthy and fit. Because of what they had shared I saw further than the robust external into the shattered internal pieces that could linger forever. Will they ever return to "normal", whatever that is? Will they find their way back to a life that they once knew? Will they gain internal strength and hope?

I wonder and I wonder some more. Most of all I cling to hope. We here in Hot Springs have fought the battle to keep our VA open for our veterans for over 4 years. Our battle has not cost us our mental health as those three who served our country. It has cost us time, effort and some anguish. It is a small price to pay.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top