Saturday, September 30, 2017

Again and Yet Again

We watched every episode of Ken Burn's Vietnam. My husband and I both lived through those years but this series revealed things we did not know and also brought a greater understanding of the soldiers who fought bravely, the men and families who stayed behind and the people and soldiers of both South and North Vietnam. When this war was happening during our time we were not exposed to the depth of the cover-ups or the extent of the anti-war protests in our country and around the world.

Most importantly, for me, it reinforced the feelings that war is damaging to civilians and soldiers on both sides. Mothers lose sons, wives lose husbands, children lose parents, friends lose friends. Some wars in our history have been fought with honor and commitment, others, not so much.

It was painful to listen to former soldiers, anti-war protesters, politicians and deserters who, over time, changed their minds about a war they fought for or against, or the country they abandoned. For many the pain lingers.

My thoughts reflect on those who lead our counties. Do they know history? Have the lessons of the past changed how we communicate with our present day enemies? History has a way of repeating itself. If only the leaders of countries knew their history, perhaps, just perhaps there would be less fighting, pride and self-serving and more communication leading to understanding. We can only hope.
But then history often repeats itself.

3 comments:

  1. I watched this also and I also lost classmates andy brother in law volunteered for it 4 time. He was so stressed for it he eventually could not go back when he came home on leave and they did not make him. My husband at the time was also in then but he did not go over they were pulling them out then so he was sent to a different overseas station. Prayed hard for those that were there and for all military. My father was also in World WarII and life at home was not easy because of it. Thank you so much for your perspective of what you thought of it. Again, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken Burns did a great service to remind us of the complexities and horrors of war. We can only hope that the leaders of the world will get the message.

      Delete
  2. 
If you know you not ready for a relationship why get into one and still cheat and liar. I was dying inside for my cheating husband, i had no prove, no one to run to. Everyone thought i was paranoid. until i was referred to a Private Investigator  Mr James . I told him about my situation and He understood me well and helped me spy on my husband.He hacked my husbands Gmail and Facebook account and linked all my spouse WhatsApp and phone conversation to me, to find out the truth.I saw all the evidence and i was heart Broken,I just want to openly say thank you to Mr James for helping me get evidence against him,i feel so hurt. If you need help please contact him Mr James (Worldcyberhackers@gmail.com) via Email. 

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top