Sunday, September 10, 2017

Enough Aready!

The soft music is flowing from the radio. Bob turned off the news a while ago and I replaced it with soothing music. It is a brief respite from the stressful news of late.

I am tired of the negative news from everywhere. There are the multiple fires raging in the West, the threat of a nuclear war, the starving fleeing from the chaos of conflicts and genocide in Africa, Burma and Myanmar, the ingoing war in Syria, suppression in Iran, Russia and many other countries, the dysfunction in Washington, the terrible state of health care in our country, Harvey, Irma, etc. etc.



If course we watch and listen to the news. It is part of our psyche to be aware of the world in which we live, but there are times when enough is enough and we need a break from the suffering of those not as fortunate as we.

It is the awareness of the tragedies on this earth that makes us grateful to live where we live with the advantages we were given. We could have been born in Syria or as an untouchable in India. We also could have lived in poverty in an inner city in our country. It is true that this is the land of opportunity, but some circumstances prevent advancement for many limited by their environment and lack of education.

I look at my life. I was born to a solid family who valued learning and a strong worth ethic. I received an education that gave me many opportunities for a satisfying, useful career that provided independence and a life of security.

As I turn on the news I may become anxious, but in the end, I am grateful for all of the advantages provided me and now, in retirement, to enjoy the safe and beautiful surroundings of the Black Hills of South Dakota.


No hurricanes, no wars, no fleeing chaos, and for now, no fires. Gratitude is the word!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top