Sunday, December 18, 2011

Not a Cane!

Thirty some years ago I had a fall that damaged my tail bone. Ever since then I have occasional problems with pain in my back, sometimes running down my leg. I managed the discomfort through natural means, including chiropractic, herbs, homeopathy, etc. Recently, on our trip to Eastern Europe, I added a case of bursitis to the mix and now walk with difficulty, especially climbing stairs.

During our trip last October my husband mentioned that I should probably use a cane. Many of our fellow passengers used one and managed better than I. My response to Bob was, "Canes are for old people."

Reflecting on my reaction I realize that I do respond to some aging issues in the same manner. "Those old coots shouldn't be driving. They don't look left or right and never signal a turn."

"Hey", I said to no one in particular the other day, "I am one of those old coots." I suppose when one has eighty peeking around her corner, she is considered an elder person.

Inside, I imagine all of us in the older generation still feel young. We have acquired aches and pains from years of living, falling, working, walking and straining our bodies, but deep inside, where we are who we have always been, we are still ageless, learning, teaching, growing.

My husband presented me with an early Christmas present the other day. It was two canes specially designed for snow, ice and regular conditions. I had a brief relapse into, "Hey, canes are for the elderly!" Then I said my thanks to my thoughtful partner. I know they will be useful, and after all of my years of using and abusing my body, I am starting to accept the fact that time has taken its toll, and I am, for now, most grateful that I am still sharing, adapting, composing, developing, and, hopefully, contributing to society in my own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top