Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter Solstice

It is that time of year once again when the length of darkness lingers longer than the hours of daylight. It seems as if I wake up, draw the curtains to welcome the sunlight, and in a blink, I am drawing them closed again to shut out the night. For many, this is the season of depression. Sunlight has a way of soothing our spirits, renewing our energy and easing our load for the day. Longer hours of darkness affect many with heavy moods and gloomy outlooks on life. Literature has shown this has long been part of the human psyche. For years humankind has fought against winter melancholy by lighting the earlier arrival of night with candles and artificial lights on trees, houses, wreaths, windows, yards and churches.

As I close our drapes each night, I pause to look out at the neighbor's houses, decked out in holiday sparkle. We have a wreath on our front porch to add a bit of cheer to our house. I am thankful that I do not get the winter blahs that affect so many. As I close out the night, with each drape that I draw, I slide into a snuggly feeling, surrounded by darkness outside, with the warmth of the fireplace in our living room, beautiful music, a purring cat on my lap, a good book or an entertaining television show. There may be a chill in the outside air, but in our home I feel cozy, serene and fully aware that tonight is the longest of the year. Tomorrow begins the lengthening of the days.

2 comments:

  1. I've been feeling a bit of the winter blues this year.
    I think it's because winter is here and we have no snow.
    So I find myself not doing all the fun things that winter brings and I end up sitting inside with nothing to do.
    Living here in Minnesota I know that it will soon change and will end up getting about two feet of snow all at once with lots more to fall afterwards.
    What you've written in your Blog will get me through this time till the snow fall's.
    Thank you Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our first snow was on December 4th. It was two inches of snow that quickly disappeared when the rain came. And now, we are having some snow, albeit it won't stick for too long. :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top