Sunday, June 9, 2013

Here Come the Ducklings!

Running water always beckons. Our ever-inviting Fall River that winds through our town never tires of its appeal. I would not enjoy my walks if I did not have the river to follow. Children love to play in it. I listen to their laughter and the sounds of the river, increasing in volume as it splashes over the rocks in a mini-cascade. There are just enough benches to stop at along the way and those pauses are occasionally opportunities to visit with walkers who may want to stop for a chat.

During my reflective moments I imagine long ago when only the wildlife stopped at its banks. Later the Indians and then the pioneers enjoyed the ever-moving waters. Today both tourists and locals run, walk, skateboard, bike or amble the river walk.

Today a mother duck brought her newly-hatched brood into the water. She was cautious, very aware of my presence on the bridge above her. The nine eager ducklings were excited, eager to explore a bit, but mostly they were glued to her side and so clustered around her that it took me a while to sort them out from one another and make the count. They were easy to spot with their splash of yellow on their feathers, but mostly they appeared as one moving mass, floating on the waves in unison with their mother.

Mother duck avoided the larger current racing and tumbling over the rocks. She stuck to the quieter side, but with a constant eye out for danger. When I came a bit closer over the bridge to get a clearer look she swam a few feet down the river and disappeared with her charges into the overhanging grasses. I looked carefully for some time but could not see her or her ducklings. She had chosen a safe place - steep banks behind her and enough cover to disappear from me or any other potential threats.

This same mother brought her family from their nest, across the nearby streets, avoiding traffic and dogs and managed to bring them to the safety of the river. Whenever I see these annual endeavors I recall that compelling children's book, Make Way for Ducklings. I wonder how many of the nine tiny balls of feathers will survive to join the flock of ducks that make their home on the warm waters of our river, flowing through all seasons, including the coldest of winters?

What I do know is that on my walks I enjoy watching the fussing ducks swimming in the river year round, together with the cautious deer and sunning turtles. All of this is a hop and a skip from our front door near downtown Hot Springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top