Sunday, June 16, 2013

Recalling Pollyanna

One of my favorite childhood books was the first one about a little girl who lived her life searching for the positive in every situation. This outlook on life was taught to her by her father when she received a pair of crutches at Christmas and he told her she should be glad that she did not need them. All of her adventures, through a series of books, were flavored with that positive outlook but, in time, the Pollyanna books grew out of favor and were ridiculed by "those in the know." Some of this came about from those who used this "glad game" to the extreme.

I remember hearing those "Oh, don't be so Pollyannish" remarks from the more sophisticated folks and I gradually drifted from that philosophy of life, at least, in any obvious manner. Thankfully, in time I came to appreciate staying in the middle of extremes instead of abandoning an idea entirely.

Perhaps I still cling to the attitude of looking on the bright side since, unaware to me until someone pointed it out, I usually end my stories, blogs or chapters on a hopeful note. For that I am grateful.

Also I am grateful for growing up in a solid, loving family, in a safe community, attending excellent schools and receiving encouragement for seeking a higher education and an attitude of taking care of myself. I was lucky. All of these advantages were given to me. I could have been born in a poverty-stricken country or the inner cities of our own country. I could have been raised in a dysfunctional family with the abuse and neglect that often follow. But I was born with many advantages and so I should be able to look on the positives in life. Usually it is not difficult for me to observe those who constantly criticize, look on the negatives in life and lash out at anyone and everyone and be grateful that I do not have that outlook, or if I get enmeshed in it for a while, I have a reminder from some one or some thing that gloom and doom outlooks just bring me down to "being stuck in the mud of negation."

Controversy and disagreements can be good. They may bring reflection and growth. I am also grateful for those who like to put the knife of criticism in and turn it slowly. They may be disliked, or largely ignored, but they do make me appreciate all the more those folks who remain calm, polite, kind and focused on trying to make the world a better place, be it ever so simple or slight.

Hello, once again to Pollyanna. May her spirit always remain when we need a pull out of that mud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top