Sunday, June 23, 2013

Little Sir Echo

There is something to be said for solitude and contemplation. There is also a great deal to be said for group camaraderie and support. When I sit on the bench along our Freedom Trail and listen to the water rushing over the rocks, the birds singing in the trees, I close my eyes and feel my surroundings and, eventually, my heart and soul. For me, nature and solitude are my simplest connection to peace and resolution.

I also find another type of reflection when I work out by myself in the pool. I do my aerobics, often to songs. The time slips by effortlessly as I sing my body into action. I do notice the absence of the group when I cannot manage to join them. During my alone times I may experience more serenity and speculations, but there is the missing piece....when I sing "Little Sir Echo" there is no response from my classmates. I answer myself...."hello, hello," but it isn't the same as an energetic group of exercisers responding "hello, hello."

I guess what I realize is that solitary time needs to be complemented by social time. Otherwise there is no one to answer an echo in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top