Sunday, August 12, 2012

Behold, the Ant

It was another hot one. We have had more than the usual miserable days this summer. I try to do my river walks before the sun hits full force but this morning my pace slowed to match my mood. Then I noticed the ant. He was tiny and tugging furiously on a small piece of a cracker lying on the sidewalk. The piece was small, but the ant was about a tenth of the size of the morsel he was attempting to haul off. I paused to watch his struggle. He pulled and scurried around the food, pulling from different sides. I was impressed by his determination. Was he ever going to give up?

I stood and stared while he continued to try to move his treasure across the sidewalk. Ater a few minutes I looked around, hoping no walker or bicyclist would crush the little bugger into the cement. He had worked so hard!

Suddenly he stopped, dropped  the food and began to move on without a backward glance. I stooped down, broke a small piece and placed it in front of this ever-so-small insect. In an instant he grabbed ahold of the manageable piece and carried it into the grass, and, I suppose, to his family of ants.

Will  I remember when I feel overwhelmed by a task and want to give up, perhaps I should try to complete pieces and, in the end, I just may carry off the entire prize, or, the one part may be just fine?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top