Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Bob's Bounty

After a summer of digging, planting, weeding and copious watering, Bob's garden is paying off big time.

It reminds me of a story. Our neighbor grew a huge zuccini crop. Every one who passed by was offered a zuccini or two. After a time no one passed by. Then our neighbor went around the block with his little red wagon, knocking on doors, offering zuccini to those who opened up to him. The day soon came when the neighbors stopped answering their doors.

We have produce overflowing on our kitchen cabinets. We have given zuccini and cucumbers to everyone who stops over. We even offered some to a salesman who showed up on his yearly visit. I have used every zuccini and cucumber recipe I know. I am beginning to think I should freeze or dry some of the bounty.

The tomatoes are less of a problem, but even they are starting to arrive in numbers that are beginning to overtake our needs. They are easier to unload than the zuccini, that is for sure. I asked Bob why he planted so many zuccini when I remember purchasing only one plant. He replied that a friend had given him four or five plants in the spring and he didn't know what they were so he planted them all.

Is there a lesson here?

What I do know is that I love fresh home grown veggies, and I am happy to share the fruit of my husband's hard labor.

1 comment:

  1. You are not alone. It seems to be a big zucchini year. How about the food bank? Tuma's market? A wagon on a sidewalk downtown with a "free, take all you want" sign? Happy trails, Dusty.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top